4 C. cooked whole wheat macaroni noodles (about half of a 13.5-oz. box)
2 Tbsp. olive oil spread
1 Tbsp. brown rice flour
1/2 small onion, minced
1 tsp. mustard, ground
1/2 tsp. chipotle chili pepper, ground
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
2 C. skim milk
2 C. Mexican cheese blend (Cheddar, Monterey Jack), divided
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Prepare macaroni noodles according to package instructions.
- In a large saucepan, melt olive oil spread. Sauté onion until translucent.
- Add brown rice flour and whisk until lightly browned.
- Add milk. Bring just to the verge of boiling and remove from heat.
- Add 1 1/2 C. cheese. Stir until blended, add noodles.
- Place in casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Set oven to broil and put casserole dish in oven until cheese is browned